Saturday, December 18, 2010

Shortbread


On the Seventh Day of Treats, I stayed in on Saturday night to make…

7 Pieces of Shortbread

6Apple Pies

5 Lemon Bars

4 Squares of Fudge

3 Butter Cookies

2 Pumpkin Pielets

And a recipe for Jewy Chewy Treats.

It has been pouring for two solid days in southern California. This is both amazing and unheard of. I love warm weather, but I am OBSESSED with the rain. My mom says I overuse and misuse the word obsessed, but I don’t think this is one of those times. I am obsessed with rain.

I was stuck in traffic today for over an hour, but it didn’t matter one bit because it was raining.

So tonight, I decided to stay in, enjoy the rain outside the window and make a Samuels family Christmas favorite. Our family’s shortbread recipe is the best I’ve ever had and a Christmas season staple.

It is pretty amazing that something so delicious only has four ingredients.

You will need:
2 soft sticks of butter (1 cup)
½ cup sugar
heaping ½ half cup of rice flour (your normal grocery store might not have it but a nicer one should) heap
1 ¾ cup all purpose flour plus a tablespoon

Start out by preheating the oven to 325 degrees. Make sure the butter is nice and soft, but not melted at all. In a mixing bowl add all the ingredients together.


By hand, knead the ingredients until it feels spongy. Don’t forget to get a little messy.




When the dough s spongy, spread the dough out in a casserole dish and press it down until it is completely flat.



With a fork, poke small holes all over the dough. I have no idea why; it’s just the way I was told. So do it.



Then bake it for 1 hour. When it is finished, cut it into pieces in the dish and then remove when it has cooled.


I’m warning you, you will need a glass of milk and self-restraint. Unless you are ready to eat and entire batch of shortbread. Consider yourself warned.


Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment