Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Butter Cookies


On the Third Day of Treats, Grandma Avie gave to me…

3 Butter Cookies

2 Pumpkin Pielets

And a recipe for Jewy Chewy Treats.


It could all be in my head, but I feel like everyone who ever learned to bake learned from their grandmother. Great Grandmother Avie taught my mother and Grandma Evelyn taught me. Every Christmas Eve, Grandma and I would make apple pies for Christmas night and cinnamon rolls for Santa. My little hands would almost fall off while sifting the gazillion cups of flour. Yes, that is a legitimate number. But there was not greater joy, or smell from that matter, than standing in front of the kitchen oven watching the pie turn the perfect golden brown.

Everything we ever baked in my house was Avie’s. Avie’s pie crust. Avie’s shortbread. Avie’s butter cookies. Butter cookies. Butter. Cookies. Cookies, with butter. I can’t stop.

I love these cookies because I don’t have an extreme sweet tooth. They are sweet, but they have more depth than that. They are rich, and cake like. Oh, and you will definitely need a glass of milk. I had a half of one cookie and I had to down a glass.

You will need
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter (two sticks)
1 egg
2 cups sifted flour (I am lazy and have carpel tunnels from my child hood so I never sift)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
**You’re favorite topping is optional. Nuts, cherries, M&M’s and Kisses are all good options. I like maraschino cherries.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Then, cream the butter.


Which is a really fancy term for put it in the microwave until it is soft (not melted) and in mix it with the sugar and egg.


Then add in the dry ingredients and mix will.


When all combined, add the vanilla. Stir the mixture until the dough is one big ball and looks a little spongy.


This will take a little arm power, but it will very suddenly come together.


When the dough is ready, use a spoon to make 9-12 small mounds on a cookie sheet.


When they are all formed, you can either bake them for 10 minutes or add your favorite treat on top and then bake them for 10 minutes. Remove them from the baking sheet immediately to let cool. If you leave them on too long they will be hard to remove.


The bottom line is that these are delicious. And easy. And buttery. Paula Dean would be so proud.

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

P.S. My boss thinks they look like boobies. I have no idea what she is talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment