Monday, December 13, 2010

Pumpkin Pielets


On the Second Day of Treats, Baked Brie gave to me…

2 Pumpkin Pielets

And a recipe for Jewy Chewy Treats.

In all honesty, the idea of pumpkin pie makes me a little sick to my stomach. Texturally, it is not my cup of my tea, but I have to respect it’s Thanksgiving staple status. When my mother asked me to make pies for Thanksgiving, I knew I was supposed to go with my families traditional apple pie recipes, but I couldn’t resist throwing in a pumpkin pie challenge.

I couldn’t bring myself to make an actual pumpkin pie, so I decided to go out on a limb and try something that was much more my textural speed. Crunchy, flakey pumpkin pielets. They are really more like a poptart than anything, but regarldess of symantics, they were yummy.

If you are anything like me, and you enjoy the flavor or pumpkin and spices, but the mushy texture of pumpkin pie filling makes you want to leave your lunch on the floor, (sorry, graffic) this is the holiday dessert for you.

I used my families pie crust recipe, but I suggest you use your favorite recipe or store bought dough. This recipe is a lot about the dough and a little about the pumpkin spice flavor.

Is it weird that the word pielet (which I’m not sure is even a word) reminds me of piglet? These are way better than a piglet, I promise.

You will need:

Filling
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar

Egg Wash
1 egg
2 teaspoons water

In a small saucepan heat the pumpkin and spices over medium heat. It will enhance the flavors. Whisk in the egg, vanilla, salt, and sugar.


Roll out your pie crust fairly thin. I used a 3 inch biscuit cutter, but you could use a glass or a cute cookie cutter. Put the bottoms on a parchment lined cookie sheet.


Put about a Tablespoon of filling on top. Resist the urge to overfill these. The filling will just urge out the sides.


Make an egg wash by whisking together the egg and water. Brush the edges with the egg wash to act like glue.


Using a fork, press down to seal the edges. Sprinkle with sanding sugar. Bake the pumpkin pielets in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes.


If you want to get extra fancy, you can cut cute little shapes with a cookie cutter or a knife to make designs and secure them on the top with a little egg wash.

I know it looks like I got fancy, but it was all Eric. I soooo do not have that type of talent.


Love and Beer Floats
Angela

P.S. Here is my families pie crust recipe if you don’t have your own. I love it because it is super flakey. And contrary to Eric’s believe, it is supposed to be that flakey. You just have to keep rolling till it all stays together. Get those arms into it!

Pie Crust
2 cups flower
½ cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup cold water
½ teaspoon salt

No comments:

Post a Comment