Thursday, December 16, 2010

Lemon Bars



On the Fifth Day of Treats, I googled and discovered…

5 Lemon Bars

4 Squares of Fudge

3 Butter Cookies

2 Pumpkin Pielets

And a recipe for Jewy Chewy Treats.

I can’t remember exactly how old I was, but I didn’t discover lemon bars until way later in life. And let me tell you, when I found out about lemon bars I was bummed. Bummed because for years and years I was missing out on lemony deliciousness. It has become one of my top three favorite treats. I am usually pretty good about resisting dessert temptation, but if there is a lemon bar in my presence, screw it. I will take down any lemon bar I could get my hands on.

So, when a girl at work suggested that I make them for the twelve days I was absolutely shocked that I hadn’t thought of it myself. Thank you Lisa for helping me realize the error of my non lemon bar making ways. They were so easy, and so delicious. And when I brought them into work, they were gone by 9:30. I am single handedly fattening up all those around me. Booya.

For the cookie base you will need:
1 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 cups unbleached all purpose flour

And for the filling you will need:
2 cups sugar
4 tablespoons unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
4 eggs
6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest

I know you will be shocked when I tell you this, but first you need to preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Then, mix together the butter, powdered sugar and flour until well blended.


Press the mixture into the bottom of a 9x13-inch glass baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes.


I have the little oven that could, so mine came out a little on the brown side. But, Lish and I like things burnt so it was perfect.


Sift together sugar, flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Once again, I do not sift, but if you are an over eager beaver, you totally can. Add the eggs, lemon juice and lemon zest. Beat by hand or with electric mixer until well blended.


Pour the mixture over the crust and bake for 25 minutes.


Allow bars to cool, then dust with powdered sugar and cut into squares. Finally, if you are like me, take these goodies into work so you don’t eat every last morsel by yourself.


By the way coworkers, you can thank me now for the tasty treats and thank me later for the new fat rolls they will cause. A little gift from me to you.


Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment