Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Avocado, Cranberry and Spiced Almond Salad with Sesame Vinaigrette


It’s funny how the weirdest things can bring out feelings in you.

For the last year, so many monumental things have been happening to those I love.

There have been engagements, and marriages and cohabitating and babies.

All around me.

You would think that with all that going on I would start to feel like more of an adult.

Fail.

In my mind I’m twenty-five going on sixteen.

Until Sunday.

Last week I agreed to go on a “hike” with my very outdoorsy boyfriend.

I say “hike” because I would hardly call what we did hiking.

Two thirds of our trek was a nice hike and the last third was more like a boulder hopping scramble.

Boulders Anyone?

More than once I could have tumbled and broken something if not killed myself.

And for some reason this was the time my weirdo brain decided I felt like an adult.

Real Life Adults 

I guess it’s because instead of drinking, or recovering from drinking on a Sunday, I was hiking with my significant other.

Not that I’m past drinking on a Saturday, but long gone are the days when I desire to dance the night away in a dark bar with my girlfriends looking for men.

I’ve moved on to nights at friends houses with our men, good food, games and conversation.

And I’m happy about it. I’m an adult and proud!

An adult except for that part where I live with my parents. It’s a frame of mind right? RIGHT???

So in keeping with our body healthy hike on Sunday, I wanted to share a nice healthy salad.

And while I strongly recommend the salad, I only recommend the Black Star Canyon waterfall hike if you are prepared for five hours of intense physical activity and you go with someone who knows what they are doing.

You will need…

For the Salad:
6 ounces baby spinach


6 ounces arugula


Or you can use 12 ounces of whatever your favorite greens are
2 medium avocados cut into cubes


¾ cup dried cranberries


3 celery stalks chopped


2 tomatoes, diced


For the Dressing:
¼ cup rice wine vinegar
½ cup sesame oil


1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon sesame seeds


To assemble the salad, combine all of the salad ingredient in a large bowl.


Make the dressing by combining the vinegar, oil, salt, pepper and seeds in a jar or bowl.

Shake the dressing or whisk until it is completely combined.


Drizzle the salad with dressing, toss and serve.


Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment