Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Scalloped Potatoes Gratin

This time last year, I was majorly gearing up for the holiday. After one year of cooking, there were tons of things on my wish list.


So many in fact, that I registered myself for Christmas and my birthday.

Totally normal.

But this year, I live at my parent’s house.

All my pots, pans, knives and kitchen odds and ends are boxed up and sitting in my storage unit. Unused and lonely.

So what does a girl put on her wish list when everything she needs is provided for the time being by mommy and daddy?

Beyond world peace and a personal masseuse, here is my list in a nutshell…

New running shoes since I have worn away all the traction and have started sliding all over the softball field. And I don’t mean sliding into home.

Spin shoes. When you cook and eat as much as I do, exercise is a must.

Cash. To put in my savings account to go towards my future home. A home that hopefully has an awesome oven to cook these potatoes in.

These potatoes were so good that a large casserole dish full of tasty potatoes yielded NO leftovers.

Lindsey B was bumming when I didn’t bring them into work for her to sample.

You will need…

1 1/2 cups heavy cream


1 sprig fresh thyme


2 garlic cloves, chopped


1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg


Butter
2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices





Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for broiling

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a saucepan, heat up the cream with a sprig of thyme, chopped garlic and nutmeg.
While cream is heating up, butter a casserole dish. Place a layer of potato in an overlapping pattern and season with salt and pepper. 



Remove cream from heat, and pour a little over the potatoes. 


Top with some grated Parmesan. 


Make 2 more layers. 


Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes. 


Sprinkle some more Parmesan and broil until cheese browns, about 5 minutes.


If I were you, I would double this bad boy. You are going to want leftovers.


Love and Beer Floats
Angela 

P.S. Please note that cookbooks are not on the wish list. The bookshelf is full. 

No comments:

Post a Comment