Monday, December 12, 2011

Lemon Ricotta Cookies with Lemon Glaze


It’s back! The Twelve Days of Treats is making a triumphant return.

Last year, I felt like I covered my baking regulars.

This year, I wanted to spice it up a bit.

Literally, and figuratively.

Saturday, Wes and I joined my parents in some good old fashioned tree decorating. 


I haven’t lived at home for a Christmas in the last seven years, so I’m a little giddy this year as I participate in all the Christmas events.

I even threw a temper tantrum when my parents tried to pick out the tree with out me.

Tantrum is not an exaggeration. I did everything short of throw myself on the ground whaling my fists until I got my parents to agree to move the day so I could go.

Wesley looked like he wanted to crawl under a rock.

Regardless of the outburst, we got a beautiful tree, and in between decorating stints, I was popping these glories in the oven.

They are the perfect mixture of a cookie and a scone. Sweet but not too sweet. Soft, but not too soft.

Perfect for your morning coffee. 

I took them to my good friends housewarming on Sunday where, surprise, they all got eaten. And SURPRISE! She got engaged!

So these were a double success. 



You will need…

For the Cookies:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder


1 teaspoon salt


1 stick unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs


1 (15-ounce) container whole milk ricotta cheese


3 tablespoons lemon juice


1 lemon, zested

For the Glaze:

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar


3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 lemon, zested

Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees F.
In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt and set it aside.
In the large bowl or stand mixer, combine the butter and the sugar.
Using an electric mixer beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
 
Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating until incorporated.
 
Add the ricotta cheese, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Beat to combine. Then, stir in the dry ingredients.
 


Spoon the dough (about 2 tablespoons for each cookie) onto the baking sheets. Bake for 15 minutes, until slightly golden at the edges.
 
Remove from the oven and let the cookies rest on the baking sheet for 20 minutes.
While the cookies are baking, combine the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a small bowl and stir until smooth.
 
When the cookies have come out and have cooled slightly, spoon about 1/2-teaspoon onto each cookie and use the back of the spoon to gently spread.
 
Let the glaze harden for about 2 hours and serve.
Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment