Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Herb Compound Butter

Due to its amazing ratings and multitude of Emmy nods, I know I’m not alone when I say that I love Bravo’s Top Chef.

I’m beyond enamored with all the drama, insane food and hot chefs.

Seriously? That Aussie that hosts Top Chef Masters and often makes appearances on regular old Top Chef. Could he BE any hotter?

Ladies, you know what I’m talking about.

I even know a couple of people who think Tom is hot. I’m not into bald, but hey, to each their own.

While I find this show amazingly entertaining and downright mouthwatering, it’s hard for me to find culinary inspiration from the show.

Mostly because they make it look HARD. And I don’t know what half the stuff they are talking about means.

But a couple of weeks ago when one of the cheftestants made a compound butter, I felt like I had finally found something I could wrap my underdeveloped culinary brain around.

It’s aromatic, delicious and freaking easy.

In fact, there is no actual cooking involved.

Compound butter is amazing on a steak, with fish or even on your bread.

Um… and it looks pretty gosh darn beautiful if you ask me.


You will need…

1 pound butter at room temperature


3 to 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped


1 tablespoon thyme, chopped


1 tablespoon sage, chopped


1 tablespoon rosemary, chopped


Stand mixer/hand mixer
Parchment paper or plastic wrap

Start by combining the oil and chives in a medium bowl or food processor. If you are doing it by hand, make sure the chives are very finely chopped. If using the processor, it can be a rough chop.


Then add the remaining herbs (chopped fine if not in the food processor) and blend until the herbs have colored the oil.


In your stand mixer using the whisk attachment, or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, whip the butter until it softens and lightens in color. About 4 to 5 minutes.


Add in the herb oil and beat the butter for another 2 minutes until the oil is fully incorporated.



Remove the butter from the bowl and spoon it onto the parchment paper or plastic wrap.


Roll into a log and chill in the fridge for 2 hours before serving.


Slice and serve.


Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment