Monday, January 9, 2012

Matzo Ball Soup

New Food Tuesdayz has made me realize a lot of things about myself.

It made me discover a passion I had no idea existed.

Because of NFT’z I discovered I could accomplish ANYTHING I put my mind to.

But the biggest discover was the fact that I am was missing out on A LOT of amazing foods.

Until I started the blog, I had never had meatloaf, stuffing
 or matzo ball soup.

Um, why didn’t anyone tell me what I was missing!

This soup is delicious. And light and hearty all at the same time.

Thank goodness for Jew Food Tuesday for helping me discover it.

And thank you to Lindsay Y’s mom for hooking us up with a bomb recipe.

You will need…

For the Soup:
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon oil
1 onion, diced


3 carrots, chopped


4 celery stalks, chopped


4 cloves garlic, minced


1 quart chicken broth
1 spring thyme
salt and pepper to taste

For the Balls:
3 eggs, separated


¾ cup Matzo Meal


½ teaspoon salt

Start by heating the butter and oil over medium high heat in a large soup pot.


When the butter has melted, add the onions, celery and carrots and cook until the onions become translucent. About 7 minutes.


When the onions are translucent, add in the garlic and thyme and cook until the garlic becomes fragrent. About 1 minutes.


Season the vegetables with salt and pepper.

Add in the chicken broth and bring to a boil.


While the broth is heating to bail, beat the egg whites until stiff.


Add in the yolks and continue beating until completely combined.



Add in the matzo meal and let the mixture sit for 5 minutes.


After the mixture has sat for a while, form the mixture into small balls.


Drop the balls into the now boiling water.



Cover the soup and cook 30 minutes at a gentle boil.


Serve everyone a ball and enjoy!


Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment