Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Orange Ricotta Pound Cake



Two things.

First thing.

Yes I realize that I have used a lot of ricotta in my recipes lately. It just tastes so great every time that I just can’t stop. No ricotta end in sight folks. Sorry.

Second thing.

I’m having a serious I identity crisis. Last night after a full day of work while my macarons were in the oven, my compound butter (recipe to come) was setting up in the fridge and I was grating potatoes for latkes, I had an epiphany.

My ambition is my best and worst quality. I literally and figuratively bite off more than I can chew.

I know I joke sometimes about having meltdowns (which really are no joke) but they are usually fueled by something. The fuel is usually being sick, or an annoying brother or too many people in my kitchen.

But last night I had to face the reality that I had no one to blame but myself. No one forced me to make dinner. No one held me down till I surrendered into doing Twelve Days of Treats. No one threatened my family, poked me with hot pokers, or jammed bamboo under my nails to get me to want to make macarons as gifts for coworkers or volunteer to make dinner for my grandma on Christmas Eve or bake orange ricotta pound cake.

I did all of those things. I did it to myself. And realizing it sucked.

But maybe it’s the first step to making it stop. The first step to planning ahead. The first step to saying no.

Realizing something isn’t perfect about you is the first step to making it better.

I guess.

The truth is, I know just about as much as the rest of you. But telling myself all this is making me feel better.

So I bet you are wondering, how after such a huge mental crisis I was able to actually make the pound cake last night.

I didn’t.

After I had my little identity crisis (and yelling very loudly that I DID NOT WANT TO DO THIS ANYMORE) my brother Josh came home and asked me what was wrong.

Even though he can be crazy annoying, he has known me for twenty years and instantly knew something wasn’t right.

After some coaxing, I agreed to hand over the pound cake making duties to him and his roommate Griffin.

And even though the pictures weren’t what I would have taken and I probably would have had a slightly different baking style, the pictures and the pound cake were perfect.

Absolutely perfect.

You will need…

1 1/2 cups cake flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks room temperature butter
1 1/2 cups whole milk ricotta cheese
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
zest of 1 orange




2 tablespoons Grand Marnier



Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F.

Then, cream together the butter and ricotta cheese. 



Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy.

Add the eggs one at a time, scraping the bowl after each one is added.


Add the orange zest, vanilla and grand marnier.

Mix the cake flour, baking powder and salt until just combined.



Pour the batter into a loaf pan that has been coated with cooking spray. 


Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Make sure a toothpick comes out clean.

Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. 

Then transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely. 


I know I say this a lot, but this was so tasty. It will definitely be a meltdown staple.

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment