Thursday, December 22, 2011

Chocolate Almond Toffee


And on the tenth day, I learned that you should always make sure new equipment is in working condition before you dive right into treat making.

Or the making of anything for that matter.

For a while now I have been hesitant to attempt any recipe that required a candy thermometer. We didn’t have one at the house and I naturally  assumed that like many cooking tools it would be a little pricy.

But as I was cruising the baking tools aisle at the store for a new baking sheet I stumbled upon one that was five bucks.

Stoked.

So I took that bad boy home and found a toffee recipe. I LOVE toffee. I don’t eat many sweets, but if toffee is around I can’t resist. I am obsessed (sorry mom, I know you think I over use this word) with the buttery, nutty crunch that you get from a great bite of toffee.

Last night, I set up everything I would need for my toffee and got rolling. But, once the candy mixture really got boiling I started panicking. My thermometer was new. Could I put it in the pot and leave it? Would it melt? Would it crack?

So I came up with a totally logical solution. Hold it by the red plastic tip until it got to the right temperature. 

Right?

Wrong.

That thing got freaking hot. So I solved that problem by using and oven mitt to hold it. Which worked great. Until the red plastic thing slid right off. WTF?????

Now my thermometer was in the boiling mixture and I panicked.

I didn’t want to ruin the toffee, but alas, I did.

Fearing that I would burn the candy mixture, I took it out prematurely.

Nothing is good premature.

Even though my toffee did not set up, I am confident in this recipe (I have done something very similar before) and I would encourage those toffee lovers who have a thermometer they are comfortable with to go ahead and make this tasty treat.

No reason someone else shouldn’t enjoy this recipe.

You will need…

1 cup chopped toasted almonds


1 cup butter


¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon light corn syrup


3 tablespoons water
¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips


Start by lining a rimmed baking sheet with tin foil and sprinkle half of the toasted almonds on the foil.


In a heavy saucepan, add the butter, salt, sugar, corn syrup and water and cook the mixture over medium-high heat.




Cook the mixture until it reaches 290 F degrees using a candy thermometer.


Be really careful here because it goes really fast when it gets to 280 degrees F. It is easy to burn so be prepared.

Pour the mixture immediately over the almonds.

Yours should be more caramel in color.
Let it stand for five minutes, until it is firm and still hot.

Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the toffee and let it stand until the chocolate starts to melt.


Using a knife spread the chocolate over the top of the toffee and sprinkle the top with the remaining nuts. Things I didn’t really get to do because mine was a flop.

Pop it in the fridge until it is completely hard. Then break it into pieces and enjoy.


I wish you luck.

Let me know how yours turns out.

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment