Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Morgan's Pumpkin Pie


For a while now, I have been toying with the idea of letting my friends and family get their little paws on this here blog. 

I mean, I get to say whatever I want, whenever I want, about whomever I want. Except about my parents. They could change the locks at any time if I misbehave.

So when Morgan asked me if I would put her pie recipe on the blog if she took pictures I one upped her and told her she could write the whole thing. 

And really, what better time is there than the Twelve Days of Treats?

On the third day of treats, Morgan gave to me...

When Angela first started the New Food Tuesdayz blog, I was very excited for this new venture in her life.  As most of you know, Angela suffers from  FOMO and often has many...

Many seasonal projects.  

So to be honest...I wasn't sure how long this blog would last.  Over a year and a half has passed and I have been able to see first hand how her excitement for food has turned into a life long passion.  I can certainly speak for all of her friends when I say that we are very proud of her. 

    

I enjoy food as much as the next girl, however my passion for cooking only lies in two culinary categories. 


Mexican food & Pie Making

Yes, I completely understand that these are on the opposite spectrums of the food chart, however they 100% reflect who I am.  I have been influenced by my two amazing Grandmothers.  

Elsie Marrufo...picture a fiery Mexican woman who enjoys a Clamato from time to time and tells it like it is. 


And Carol Kennedy...picture an older Betty Draper who has an obsession for quilting,  garden party teas and collecting antique light houses. 


    My Nana (Elsie) has instilled in me the love of Mexican cooking...I could cook & eat Mexican food every day for the rest of my life.  

My Grandma Carol, an expert Martha Stewart baker, has included me in the kitchen as her sous-chef since I could stand.  

The fact that the holiday season includes two of my all time favorites thrills me....Pumpkin Pie & Tamales.  
    
I have made successful pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving for the last three years.  I, unlike most, attempt the daunting task of making a pumpkin pie with an actual pumpkin (no canned mush allowed).  

The first time I set out on this journey it was both tiring and expensive.  Tiring because I did not have a mixer or the proper cooking tools every baker should have and expensive because nutmeg, cinnamon and ground ginger are pricey spices!  Once you buy them and obtain the proper tools, the process becomes easier and easier. 
    
The biggest tip I can give anyone when beginning the pie making process, is start with a clean and organized kitchen.  Have all of your ingredients out, measured and ready.



You will need...



          For the Filling:
    2 cups cooked, mashed pumpkin
    1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
    2 eggs, separated
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    14 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup evaporated milk
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 unbaked 10-inch pastry shell
   
        For the Crust:

    1 cup lard
    3 cups flour
    1 1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 tablespoon vinegar
    1 egg
    6 tablespoons water
Purchase a small cooking pumpkin that weights about 2 1/2 pounds.  Wash the pumpkin, and cut in half crosswise. 




Place halves, cut-side down, on a 15 x 10 x 1-inch jellyroll pan.  Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes or until fork tender; cool 10 minutes. 
(Note from Angela: If you have a baking sheet or something of the like that will work as well.)


While your pumpkins are baking, begin to make your dough (this will save lots of time once your filling is completed).

Mix lard, vinegar, egg and water; add flour and salt. Use a pastry cutter to assist in the mixing process.  My Grandma Carol claims that this recipe makes enough crust for two 12 inch pies, however I always only have enough for one and a half pie crusts. 


Once your dough is together, wrap and let sit in refrigerator.

Peel pumpkin and puree pulp in a food processor or mash thoroughly.  Yield will be about 2 1/4 cups mashed.


Combine pumpkin, brown sugar, butter, eggs yolks, spices, and salt in a large mixing bowl; beat until light and fluffy. 


Add evaporated milk; beat just until blended. Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until foamy; gradually add sugar, I tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. 

(At this point I realized that trying to make a Pumpkin Pie alone and attempting to document the process for NFT is near to impossible…apologies for minimal photos.)

Fold into pumpkin mixture.  Pour filling into pastry shell.  (Keep remaining unused dough to create a design if you feel crafty)

Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 350 degrees, and bake an additional 45 to 50 minutes or until set. (I have always had to bake my pies around 10 minutes longer than this but it depends on your oven).

Let Cool. 


& voilà you have a successful delicious Pumpkin Pie made completely from scratch!  Enjoy your holiday treats and take time to remember where and who your culinary traditions came from. 



¡Buen Apetito!


Morgan Ridgeway


PS. Look out for a full Tamale report due early January 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment