Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Navel Orange and Radish Salad

Often I mention my constant battle between eating like I’m a bottomless pit and still wanting to be healthy and fit. My life is a constant battle of whether I am living to eat, or eating to live. It is literally a meal by meal struggle. One night I’ll have an elaborate, calorie filled meal, and the next I will have brown rice and veggies.

But this weekend, I will be achieving true balance. This weekend, I am participating in the first ever Orange County Munch-A-Thon.

What is a Munch-A-Thon?

It is a 5K run complete with food themed obstacles and food tasting pit stops. I will be burning off those calories I’m eating in real time people.

The only problem with this is the festival of food trucks at the end of the race. There is no calorie burning plan at that point.

So, in preparation for this weekend’s events, I will be going back to brown rice and veggies. And delicious salads like this one.

You will need…

3 navel oranges
2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1 large head of red leaf or butter lettuce, torn into bite size pieces


1 avocado, thinly sliced
6 to 8 radishes cut into wedges


Start by cutting off ends of the oranges. Using a paring knife, remove peel, pith, and outer membranes by following the curve of the fruit.


Working over a bowl to catch the juices, cut between sections to remove whole segments of the orange. Squeeze the juice from the membranes into a bowl. Make sure you have about 3 tablespoons of juice.

In a small bowl, whisk together reserved orange juice, vinegar, and olive oil and season with salt and pepper.

In a salad bowl, combine the oranges, lettuce, avocado, and radishes.


Toss with the dressing, and serve immediately.


And look forward to next week when there is photo finish to the Munch-A-Thon.

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment