Monday, February 7, 2011

Raisin Bread French Toast


When I added an easy to navigate recipes page to the blog I got a lot of really great feedback. But, my favorite comment came via twitter (which I’m really bad about using) from my friend Jon.

JetNguyen @NewFoodTuesdayz The breakfast section tells me you're not much of a morning person.

Oh Jon, you can’t even comprehend how hard you hit the nail on the head. I am the ANTI morning person. I am a complete night owl (thanks dad). Lindsey B and Lindsay Y regularly boast that they get in bed at 9:30pm and that is possibly the most absurd thing I’ve ever heard. I’m lucky if I make it home from yoga by then.

If I am in bed by 11pm and asleep by midnight I consider that a major sleep success. I often work out in the morning before work, but if I had my way I would sleep till 10am, go to work at noon and get off at 8pm. Maybe someday.

Regardless of my hatred for the hours of 2-10am, I LOVE breakfast. My brothers and I used to rejoice when Mom would make us breakfast for dinner.

Even though I hate the mornings I am going to make a better effort to make breakfast. For Jon’s sake and mine.

I started Saturday morning at my parent’s house with this French toast recipe.

You will need…
1 cup half-and-half
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons honey, warmed in microwave for 20 seconds
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 (1/2-inch) slices of raisin bread
4 tablespoons butter

Start by whisking together the half-and-half, honey and salt in a large bowl.



Dip bread into mixture; allow them to soak for 30 seconds on each side.




Over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a 10-inch saute pan.


Place 2 slices of bread at a time into the pan and cook until golden brown, approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side. I had a big pan so I did 4 at a time.


Repeat with all 8 slices. Serve immediately with maple syrup, whipped cream or fruit.


It was a big hit. It might be because I gave them champagne with strawberry puree.


Love and Beer Floats
Angela

1 comment: