Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Dressed Up Potato Skins


My bacon is spooning.

These are one of my all time favorite splurges. Partially because you can put WHATEVER you want on them and they will be phenomenal and partially because there is nothing better than a cheese drenched crispy potato skin and a cold beer. I topped mine with a couple of things we had around the house (bacon, heirloom tomatoes, cheddar cheese and green onions) but you could also add different kinds of cheese, sour cream, avocado or your favorite sauce.


Seriously you can put almost anything on them and they will be delicious.

I stress ALMOST anything because I feel like if I say anything, someone like Blake will post a comment about some absurd spice like aniseed and how that would gross.

Aniseed would be gross on potato skins. Don’t bother trying.

You will need…

4 large russet potatoes
2 tablespoons melted butter
4 cups of your favorite cheese
Assorted favorite toppings

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Poke holes in each of the potatoes with a fork and then put them directly on the oven racks and bake them for one hour.


I have no clue what happened to the guy in front. Product of a dirty oven.

When they have baked, pull them out and let them cool enough for you to handle. Slice them in half making two little boats. Using a spoon, scoop out almost all the cooked potato (I saved mine and mashed them for mashed potatoes later). Leave about ¼ inch layer of potato in the boats.


Brush both sides of the potatoes with melted butter and place them on a baking sheet with the skin side up. Heat the oven up to 450 degrees and bake them for an additional 10 minutes.


After 10 minutes, flip them over, fill them with evenly with cheese and cook for an additional 5 minutes.


Pull them out and top them with your selected toppings and serve them hot Hot HOT!


Preferably with a nice cold beer.

Speaking of beer, tonight my friend Steve is coming over to do a New Food Tuesday beer paring and to teach me something about beer. I have already learned more in the last 24 hours since we decided to do this than I have in the last 24 years.

I’m also putting him to work in the kitchen. SCORE!

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment