Sunday, February 6, 2011

Roasted Garlic, Onion and Bacon Dip in a Bread Bowl



I have absolutely no problem telling you that I am not really a football fan. It is no that I dislike the sport, it just doesn’t appeal to me. I do however have a major problem staying away from the types of food that are prepared for “game days.” If it involves cheese, bacon or potatoes in multiple forms, I’m in.

So I was extra excited about my first “game day” as a cook. I managed to find a recipe that has three of my favorite things all rolled into one. Bacon, check. Onions, check. GARLIC, double check!

I tested it out yesterday at a house warming party and it lasted a total of thirty minutes. When people were finally done with it, the bread bowl looked like it had been attacked by rabid seagulls.

It was so game day worthy that I’m making it again along with loaded potato skins. Get excited. I know I am.

You will need…

2 heads of garlic
1 medium sized white onion chopped
6 slices of cooked bacon chopped


3 green onions finely chopped


1 1/2 cup sour cream
¾ cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees. While the oven is heating, chop off the tops of the garlic and drizzle them 1 tablespoon olive oil.


Wrap them up in tin foil and roast them in the oven for 45 minutes.


While the garlic is roasting, caramelize the onions by cooking them in a pan on medium heat with the remaining olive oil, 1 teaspoon of salt, a little pepper and 1 tablespoon sugar.


Let them cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until they are soft and golden brown.

When the onions and garlic are finished, blend them up in a food processor and mix them with the other ingredients.



You can serve yours in a bowl, but I served mine in a bread bowl. One less dish to do. Serve with your favorite chips.


GOOOOOOO TEAM!

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment