Thursday, February 17, 2011

Brussels Sprouts with Thyme, Pine Nuts and Carmelized Onions


I think the quest for the perfect side dish might be over ya’ll.

Direct quote from my father…

“These might be the best brussels sprouts I have ever eaten. And I am a brussels sprout aficionado.”

Those two sentences say way more than one of my long winded ramblings EVER could. So I’ll keep it short.

I love making brussels sprouts with bacon, but my mom makes fun of me for putting bacon in EVERYTHING. That’s funny, because my orange chicken on Monday definitely did NOT have bacon in it MOM!

Regardless of pleasing her, I wanted to come up with a delicious brussels sprout recipe that did not alienate my one vegan friend. Don’t say I never did anything for you Lindsey K!

You will need…


2 lbs brussels sprouts halved
1 onion carmelized (takes about 30 minutes)
½ cup pine nuts
6 cloves garlic chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons dry or fresh thyme


Make sure you use a pan that go in the oven! While you are caramelizing your onions, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.


When your onions are caramelized, set them aside.


In the same pan, heat the oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Add in brussels sprouts and sauté them until they get a good golden color. This should take about 5 minutes.


Then add in the pine nuts, thyme and caramelized onions and give it all a good stir. Place the pan in your preheated oven and cook for about 5 minutes.


Remove and serve hot.


And just because Dad thinks I struck gold doesn’t mean I won’t keep pushing for platinum.

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

1 comment:

  1. OMG. Not only do I love this because it's vegan, but brussel sprouts are my favorite vegetable of all time until forever!!!!!!!
    Lindsey K is one happy camper. I can't wait to make this (asap). Me loves you.

    ReplyDelete