Wednesday, June 16, 2010

summer has arrived


Here in California, we have quite the long "winter". Now, I realize that my version of "winter" is very mild, and completely pleasant compared to most parts of the world, but this is about me, and in my world, this was a very long winter! Usually by this time in June we haven't seen a single drop of rain in 3 months, but the rains have been dragging on and on this year. Ok, I'm going to stop complaining now, because the truth is, we need the rain, and I love rain. But, as much as I love rain, I love HEAT. I love sun, and summer clothes and sandals. I love cold beers, ice cream and watermelon. I love summer!

Yesterday felt like summer had finally arrived. So, Lish and I decided that for NFT we needed to bust out a summer favorite. Barbecue. A new food Tuesday where anything cooked must be on the barbecue. On the menu, chicken, tomatoes, avocado, jicama and great friends and family. LIsh and I were lucky enough to have two brothers over. Albert was here with W.J. and H.P. And yes, 90% of his friends names are initials. And Lish's brother Bryan stopped in to visit us on his trek from Oregon to Phoenix. Of course Josh and Eric were helping in the kitchen and supplying the booze. Booze... crucial for any summer get together.

Ok... enough talking... this food was gorgeous... picture time.




Jicama, tomato, mozzarella, avocado and corn salad. this is a summer must have. I'm making it gain Sunday for Father's Day. I highly suggest you try it! Plus, Jicama is probably my favorite ingredient of the moment. The best way to describe it is a combo of an apple and a potato. Sounds gross it is so delicious and takes flavors really well!


Finished plate... not that pretty... but god was it good!


Love and Beer Floats
Angela

For the dressing:
1 1/2 cups packed fresh cilantro
1/2 cup good-quality extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

For the salad:
4 ears corn, kernels removed (about 3 cups)
1 1/2 pounds grape tomatoes, halved (about 3 cups)
1 pound fresh mozzarella, diced
2 medium avocados, diced
1 jicama diced

Directions
Combine the dressing ingredients in a blender, using 2 teaspoons salt, and pepper to taste; process until smooth. Combine the salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss with the dressing. Let sit at least 15 minutes before serving, or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment