Friday, November 4, 2011

Wild Mushroom and Onion Rice

I pretty much don’t like rice. I find it very bland. Probably because it is.

I’m not sure if you’ve noticed, but every time I post a rice dish, there are lots of things in it. I usually put as much stuff as I can in it to mask the fact that I’m eating rice.

So the other night when my brother was over for dinner and I was having a meltdown an hour before dinner time, I tried to nix this dish in crunch time.

I had three burners and an oven going and I was overwhelmed.

But Albert being Albert, he decided three dishes weren’t enough for dinner and demanded that the rice be made.

Ugh. Brothers.

Of course I am a lovely and obliging sister, so I made the FREAKING rice dish.

And I totally didn’t complain at all while I did it.

But, it was worth every second of discomfort, because it was yumtastic.

Yes, as a matter of fact, I did just make up a word.

It was delicious AND I got the chance to teach Albert’s girlfriend how to properly cut mushrooms.


Baby steps Samm, baby steps.

You will need…

3 cups chopped mixed mushrooms (white, portobello, shiitake, etc.)


1 medium onion, diced


2 tablespoons butter
4 cups cooked white rice or brown rice


Soy sauce, to taste
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup sliced green onions


Start by melting the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.

Sauté the mushrooms and onions in the butter until both are soft.


Stir in rice, soy sauce, salt and pepper, and green onions.



Cook the mixture until all the ingredients are warmed through.


Serve hot.

Turns out demanding brothers are good for something.

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment