Wednesday, October 19, 2011

New York Strip Steak with Balsamic Syrup

I think it might be a slight understatement to say that Wes has weathered a storm on the blog lately.

More like a hurricane.

He had to meet my parents. Then he broke our house. Then he almost killed our cat.

And while these things make for great stories, I’m sure he cringes when he has to relive the events in writing.

I know I do.

So, for a change I thought I’d talk about something absolutely wonderful about Wesley.

His family.

If you couldn’t tell by the three month rule post, I’ve had quite of few gentleman callers.

And if you date someone long enough, meeting the family is kind of part of the deal.

Most of them were warm and wonderful and willing to welcome me into their homes.

Some were not so awesome, but that is another REALLY long story.

But no family has ever made me feel more special, or more like I belonged than Wesley’s. They are just a bunch of gems.

I haven’t met everyone yet (I’m meeting mom, younger sister and brother on Thursday) but those that I have met are freaking awesome.

Especially his sister Mindy, brother-in-law John and two kids who we have been spending a lot of time with lately.

Mindy and I were meant to be friends. We have the same karaoke song. Totally fate.

Oh, and John just so happens to be in the meat business.

Yes, the meat business.

Which means we suddenly have a lot more meat in our lives. Which means you all have a lot more meat dishes in your lives.

Including the two different ones I made this week.

You will need…

1 1-pound New York strip steak (about 1-inch thick)


1 tablespoon olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 cups balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
Start by boiling the balsamic vinegar and sugar in a heavy small saucepan over medium-high heat until reduced to 1/3 cup, stirring occasionally, about 18 minutes.


Make sure not to keep the syrup cooking for too long or it will burn.

In addition, make sure to type this perfectly with your meat being done, as the syrup will start to harden after removed from the heat.


In a large sauté pan, heat the oil over medium high heat until it is nice and hot.

Season the meat on both sides generously and add it to the hot oil.


Sear the steak until it is deep brown on one side, about 4 to 5 minutes and flip it.


Cook the other side until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the met registers 120 degrees F for medium-rare, about 3 to 4 more minutes.


Transfer the meat to a cutting board, cover it with foil and let it rest for 10 minutes.

When the meat has rested, place it on a serving dish and drizzle it with the balsamic syrup.


Serve hot and enjoy.


If you have a restaurant and need a meat guy, let me know. I’ve got just the man for the job.

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment