Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Goat Cheese Filet Mignon with Red Wine and Shallot Sauce

Adulthood is seriously beating down my door.

Yes, I am a quarter of a century old but I feel like I’m sixteen. My brain thinks I’m sixteen, but that damn adulthood keeps beating down my front door.

In the last couple of years, I have had close and wonderful friends get married and have children. Coworkers, former teammates and even a former roommate have either given life to another human or walked down an aisle to share their lives with someone else.

And it was super cool. But adulthood was just parked in its car out in front of the house.

In the last week my group of childhood friends had some MAJOR events happen. A baby and engagement kind of major events. And in a matter of days, adulthood got out if its car, walked up the walkway and started beating down my freaking front door.

I am absolutely over the moon for the future mother and the future wife, but life just got really real!

Here I am freaking out, but I can only imagine how they feel. Adulthood just broke down their doors, walked down the hallway, pulled them out of bed and told them to get their shit together.

Basically, this has all come as a huge wakeup call. Adulthood is here and I need to strap on my big girl panties and let him in the damn door.

While I do that, I’ll leave you with a delicious recipe. Because even though I’m having a slight mental break down and maybe you are too, we should all indulge in something tasty.

You will need…

4 tablespoons butter, divided
6 (5 to 6-ounce) filet mignon steaks (each about 1-inch thick)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 ounces soft fresh goat cheese


1 large shallot, minced


3/4 cup dry red wine
Start by preheating your broiler.

Then, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.


Sprinkle the steaks with salt and pepper.

Cook the steaks to desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare.



When the steaks are done, transfer the steaks to a baking sheet, cover them with foil and let them rest for five minutes.


While the steak is resting, add the shallot to the drippings and cook over medium heat until golden, about 2 minutes.


Add the wine and scrape up any browned bits with a wooden spoon.


Bring to a boil and cook until reduced by half and slightly syrupy, about 7 minutes; remove from the heat.

Whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, to make a glossy sauce.


Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper or season to taste.


When the steak has finished resting, crumble the blue cheese over it and place it in the broiler just until the cheese melts. Just about 1 minute.


When the cheese is melted, remove the steaks from the broiler, add them to plates and drizzle with your sauce to serve.


If I’m going to have to be an adult, I’m sure as hell going to eat like one.

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

P.S. Sorry for my dirty mouth today. My mouth gets foul when I’m overwhelmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment