Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Grown Up Grilled Cheese

As I get older, I can totally understand how mothers end up feeding their kids things like pasta, hot dogs and grilled cheese on the regular.

Who has the freaking time to make anything fancy for dinner?

Not that I’m putting myself on the level of a mother.

I get way more sleep and only have to worry about what goes into my body or the body of an occasional dinner guest.

Last week I needed to feed the man and myself after yoga and before softball and still have something to talk to you about.

Well, I didn’t HAVE to. I just over scheduled myself and tried to fit it all in. You know. The usual.

Turns out grown up grilled cheese sandwiches are just as easy as the kid version but WAY more satisfying for someone whose diet consists of more than fish sticks and pizza.

You will need…

1 wedge of brie sliced ¼ of an inch thick


4 ounces of goat cheese sliced ¼ of an inch thick (helps if it is cold when you slice it)


8 slices of your favorite crusty bread


2 very ripe pears sliced ¼ of an inch thick


4 strips crispy bacon


4 handfuls of arugula
2 tablespoons butter

Start by buttering one side of each piece of bread. Make sure that you butter the outsides of what will be your sandwich.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and place the bottom of your sandwiches butter side down on the pan.

Add a layer of goat cheese, brie cheese and a layer of pear slices.


When the cheese has become almost completely melted, add 1 slice of bacon and a handful of arugula.


It helps if you ball the arugula up in your fist and place it in the middle so that the arugula doesn’t spill over the sides.


Place the top layer of bread on each sandwich (butter side up) and use a spatula to flip the sandwiches over.

Continue to cook until the fresh layer of bread is nice and toasty. Make sure the pan is not too hot or you will burn your bread like I did. Whoops.

When the now bottom later of bread is nice and toasty, remove from the pan and serve hot and melty.


Don’t you dare use a knife and fork on this little gem. Release your inner child.

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment