Monday, September 26, 2011

Bacon Fat Brussels Sprouts


Consider me a baseball player because I just got called up to the majors.

That’s right folks, I am moving out of AAA and I’m talking the mound in my first major league game.

Last week I got the call that I have been dreaming of. Instead of one dish this year, I will be making the entire Thanksgiving feast.

Yes, you read that correctly. Little old me will be making the biggest meal of the year.

From start to finish.

Mom’s only requirements are that there is turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy present.

Other than those three, it’s all on me.

Basically I will spend the next two months auditioning dishes for the big days. (I am totally up for suggestions.)

I tried this bad boy out last week out of excitement and I think I hit the nail on the head. This is totally the veggie front runner for the biggest food day of my life. So far.

You will need…

½ lb of Brussels sprouts trimmed and halved


2 medium shallots, chopped


1 tablespoon bacon fat (what is left over after you cook 3 pieces of bacon)


Juice of ½ lemon


Salt and pepper to taste

Start by heating your bacon fat over medium heat in a medium skillet.

I had made bacon for something else so I just kept the heat on.

Add in the shallots and cook them until they have browned slightly, about 4 minutes.


When the shallots are browned, add the Brussels sprouts to the pan. Cook them just until they are bright green and slightly tender, about 8 minutes. (I prefer my Brussels sprouts to be slightly crunchy, but if you prefer them softer, you can extend the cooking time.)


Then take 19,915 pictures in an attempt to capture you boyfriend flipping the srpouts around.


Season the sprouts with salt and pepper and squeeze them with the lemon juice.


Remove from the heat and serve immediately.


Thanksgiving 2011 here I come!

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

1 comment:

  1. I usually blanch the brussel sprouts and then shock them in ice water before saute-ing. I like to get 'caramelized and brown. Made them all the times as two restaurants I worked at had them on the menu.

    Also I like Martha Stewart's recipe for roast turkey and gravy.

    ReplyDelete