Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Shrimp Lettuce Wraps

So, I’ve been in Greece for five days now. The city that we are in leaves something to be desired, but if you stay on the coast, you don’t even realize there is a bustling city just a few blocks inland.

I know it’s super lame, but I haven’t done much exploring. My site seeing has consisted of me looking out the window as we drive to the daily water polo game.

Basically, I’m perfectly content to lay by the pool or the sea, with my book and my ipod and work on my bronze.

Wesley isn’t going to know what hit him.

The only other thing I really have to report (since I’ve scene virtually nothing of Greece) is the food. I was already a little worried about the cuisine considering I have a serious distaste for feta cheese and olives. So far, good food has been hard to come by and I’m majorly missing the comfort of my kitchen.

However, there is still hope. At our beautifully scenic sunset dinner two nights ago that was amazingly fun despite the HORRIBLE food turned out to be the ticket to local food spots.


Because the food was so bad, I spent a lot of time at the bar. Yes, I probably would have spent plenty of time at the bar anyway, but that’s not important. What is important is that the bartender there was also a chef who gave me a list of restaurants to try.

Now if I can only figure out how to get the restaurants he wrote down for me in Greek I’ll be good to go.

Since I am unable to write about the delicious dishes I’m eating abroad, instead I’ll write about the tasty ones I made before we left.

This shrimp appetizer was an awesome alternative to chicken lettuce wraps and much easier to make since there is WAY less chopping involved.

You will need…

3 tablespoons fresh lime juice


3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
3 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoons red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger


1 clove garlic, minced


1 pound medium to large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined


1/2 red bell pepper, diced


2 green onions, diced


1 (8-ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped


1 head iceberg lettuce, cored and halved


Start by combining the lime juice, 2 tablespoons oil, 2 tablespoon soy sauce, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, ginger, and garlic in a medium bowl.

Add the shrimp to the mixture and let the shrimp marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and no longer than 1 hour.

When the shrimp has marinated, heat the remaining oil over medium-high heat.


Add the bell pepper, green onions, and water chestnuts to the oil and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.


Add the shrimp and the marinade, and cook until the shrimp are pink, about 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining soy sauce.


Divide the lettuce into leaves.

Spoon about one-quarter cup of the shrimp mixture into each lettuce cup and serve hot.


And cross your fingers that I find good Greek food before I lose it and barge my way into some unsuspecting Greek household to borrow their kitchen.

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment