Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Heirloom Tomato Salad with Blue Cheese and Creamy Chive Vinaigrette

Well friends. My bags are packed (mostly) and in just over twenty four hours I will be in a car on the way to Los Angeles International Airport to board a super fun eleven hour flight.

Oh poor me. I have to be on a plane for a really long time. A plane that will take me to Greece. How horrible.

Okay, I’m done rubbing it in that I will be spending ten days in the sun with nothing but a bikini and a smile on.

Maybe some sandals if the terrain is rough.

I have to fill you in on my ultimate mission while on vacation.

Operation “Get Tan” is commencing the second my feet touch the streets of Volos, Greece.

Wesley and I (the new boy) have had a bet all summer to see who could be more tan when all is said and done.

A tanning competition is not usually an issue for me.

Exhibit A…


That girl on the left is Pacific Islander. And I’m darker than her.

A tanning competition was not a problem for me until I met Wes.

I’ve been doing my dandiest all summer to get more bronzed than him and I’m getting my tan booty kicked.

It doesn’t help that he’s had the week off from work and its ninety degrees and sunny every day for him to soak up some rays.

But mark my words friends. I will prevail.

And if I don’t, still have a really cute and tan boyfriend.

What does this have to do with this heirloom tomato salad? Nothing. But tan people look really good eating it.

So do white people come to think of it.

You will need…

For the salad:
2 cups fresh mixed mesclun greens (this is basically a French baby greens mix, but you can use any baby greens mix)
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper
Assorted large and small heirloom tomatoes, sliced or quartered


Creamy Chive Dressing, recipe follows
Point Reyes blue cheese, crumbled (any blue cheese will work)


Whole chives, for garnish

For the dressing:

3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice


1 heaping tablespoon prepared mayonnaise
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives


Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup olive oil

Start by placing the greens in a bowl and toss with the vinegar and oil and season with salt and pepper and then transfer them to a platter.


Arrange the tomatoes over the greens and sprinkle them with the blue cheese.


In a blender or food processor, combine all of the dressing ingredients.


Blend until they are combined well.


Finally, drizzle the dressing over the top of the tomatoes and greens.


Add a couple extra chives for garnish if desire.


Ready. Set. Devour.

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

3 comments:

  1. i will beat you both in a tanning competition. booya.

    have fun in greece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After that post I am running home and covering my body in self tanner, but even that won't be enought to combat the lack of sunlight we have in the Midwest. Man I miss LA.

    Have fun in Greece!

    ReplyDelete