Thursday, July 7, 2011

Tomato Tartlets


There are lots of reasons why I love living with my parents. My mom makes me coffee and chats with me before I leave the house in the morning. Dad will always fill up my water glass for dinner. There is a completely enclosed backyard pool for skimpy tanning. And as long as I keep everything off my floor, the housekeeper will clean up my room.

Ok, that last one is a really big challenge for me to execute, but the rest are awesome.

But, moments like this one I had with my mom yesterday morning are why I love living at home so much.

Circa 8:25 am my mom busts into my room as I’m getting ready to The Today Show on NBC.

Mom – Um, what are you watching?

Me – I’m watching Matt Lauer. Duh.


Mom – Did you just see what happened?

Me – You mean the segment with Martha Stewart?

Mom – Yes. Did you see what MARTHA MADE?

Me – Yes mom, I saw the tomato tarts that Martha just made.

Mom – Good. Make those tonight.

Add the fact that Mom will go and get the ingredients I can’t find at the store for dinner to the list of reasons why I love living at home.

Well, I did as Mom and Martha told me and I made those tarts. And they were freaking good.

You will need…

All-purpose flower, for rolling
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed


2 1/2 ounces grated sharp white cheddar (2/3 cup packed)


3 medium tomatoes, cut into ten 1/4-inch-thick slices


4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
Ground pepper
1/3 cup small basil leaves, for serving

Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees F.

Lightly flour a rolling pin and work surface and roll out puff pastry to a 14-by-16-inch rectangle.

With a 4-inch cookie cutter, cut out 10 rounds and transfer to two lightly greased baking sheets.


With a fork, prick each round all over so they don’t puff up too much.

I did not have a round cookie cutter so instead of butterfly tarts I used a martini shaker.

Classay!

Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cheese on each round, leaving a ¼-inch border.


Top the cheese with 1 tomato slice.


Brush with oil and season with pepper.


Bake until the pastry is deep golden at edges, 25 to 30 minutes (might be different depending on the brand you use).



Let tartlets cool slightly, top with basil and serve.


Let me just tell you, momma knows best.

Apparently so does Martha.

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

1 comment: