Thursday, June 2, 2011

Spinach Pesto Grilled Chicken

After a stiff drink, a hilarious book and a short hour flight to Phoenix, I made it the land of marriage safe and sound.

The only hiccup was that my phone decided to stop sending messages and making phone calls minutes before I needed to let Lish know that my flight would be on time. E-mails back and forth about baggage pick up and where I’m standing on the curb is just not quite as effective as a phone call.

But, I made it. Phoenix is beautiful and on FIRE. It is ninety-five degrees today and everyone keeps saying how beautiful it is out.

News flash. It’s hot.

But I love it. And so does my normally wavy and unruly hair.


Even though it might be hot, hot, HOT outside, I have a wonderful chicken dish to cool the Arizonians down.

You will need…

2 boneless chicken breasts
2 cups lightly packed baby spinach leaves (about 2 ounces)
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted


2 garlic cloves minced


2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 to 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan



Start by heat a grill pan on medium high heat. Lightly oil the grill pan. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.


Grill the chicken until it is cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.


Combine the spinach, pine nuts, garlic, lemon juice, and lemon peel in a processor.


Lightly pulse. With the machine running, gradually add 1/3 cup of the oil, blending until the mixture is creamy.


Add in the Parmesan and pulse until the mixture is smooth.


Put half the pesto in the fridge to save. It will be great on a sandwich or with veggies as a dip.

Transfer the rest of the spinach mixture to a medium bowl. Season the pesto with salt, pepper and extra lemon juice to taste.

Spread the pesto over each piece of chicken and serve.


Now I’m sweating. Time for a cold shower!

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment