Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Indiana Corn Chowder


Well folks. I don’t know what else to say other than it is raining in LA today. In the middle of May.

I know I love the rain and all, but this is slightly ridiculous. I’m ready to wear next to nothing, lay by the pool with a drink that has an umbrella in it and cooking things on the barbeque.

Seriously… global warming is a sham.

The only silver lining to this crappy weather is that I have a great dish for it.

Last week Lindsey B and I collaborated on this corn chowder for our friend Sean’s US state themed lunch. Lindsey decided to pick Indiana.

Why Linds? Why?

I think of Nebraska when I think of corn, but this recipe is literally called Indiana Corn Chowder. I’m guessing the person that put it together probably knows more about Indian than I do.

Regardless of where it’s from, it has LOTS of bacon in it. So you know Blake and I are fans.

You will need…

½ pound bacon, diced
1 white onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 (15 ounce) can of cream-style corn
1 (15.25ounce) can of whole kernel corn
1 (4 cup) carton of chicken broth
5 potatoes, peeled and cubed


Salt and pepper to taste

Start by placing your bacon in a large pot and cook it over medium-high heat, stirring it occasionally until it has browned evenly. It should take you about 10 minutes.


Drain the bacon on a paper towel lined plate to get rid of the excess grease, but leave the bacon fat in the pot.

Add the onion, celery, bell pepper and carrots into the pot that should still have the bacon fat in it.


Cook the mixture until the onions have turned translucent. This should take about 8 minutes. Make sure to season the mixture every so often. When you season a little at a time, it builds a stronger flavor than adding salt at the end.


Add in the cream-style corn, the whole kernels, the chicken broth and the potatoes.


Bring the mixture to a boil.


When it has boiled, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pot and let it simmer until the potatoes are tender. This should take about 20 minutes.

Stir in the diced bacon, and do your final seasoning before serving.


I have trouble getting a final photo when Lindsey B is around to distract me. This will have to do.

Mmmmm. Bacon.

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

P.S. I can't figure out why I always try and put too much stuff into one container? It just makes things harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment