Friday, April 29, 2011

Grandmother Peggy's Crustini Appetizers


At no point in my life have I ever considered myself a healthy eater. Sure I love things that are healthy like kale and salmon, but I also love things that are horrible for me. Bacon, complex carbohydrates and Sourdough Jack’s with curly fries are some of my favorite foods.

Basically, I have zero prejudice towards bad for me foods. I am an equal opportunity eater.

But when Maggie explained to me what went into her grandmother's “beef crustinis” my heart almost arrested at the THOUGHT of it entering my body.

I believe my exact response was, “Hell no! I am not serving Velveeta.”

A quick side note about Velveeta. After Maggie told everyone what was in these appetizers, Lish’s mom, Darcy told us a wonderful story about the cheese like bricks. When her college friend would go out of town, she would hide her jewelry in the brick of Velveeta and put it in the fridge.

Genius.

Well Maggie, I apologize. I will never again judge a food byproduct. These were freaking awesome.

Sure I called them “heart attacks on toast” the entire bridal shower, but that didn’t stop me from eating eleven of them and then eating the cheese and meat mixture by itself after everyone left.

You will need…

1 lb of spiced Bob Evans or Jimmy Dean sausage
1 quarter to one half brick of Velveeta cheese
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Hot sauce to taste
1 French baguette sliced into 1/3 inch slices

Start by browning your sausage in a large pan over medium high heat and turning on your broiler.


While the sausage is browning, melt your Velveeta.


When the sausage has finished browning, drain all the grease from the pan.


Then add in the cheese, onion powder and Worcestershire sauce. Stir the mixture till it is combined and then add the hot sauce to taste.


Drizzle the slices of bread with olive oil and broil until the slices are slightly crispy.


When the bread is slightly toasty, remove it from the broiler and top the crustinis with spoonfuls of the sausage mixture and broil until the meet is slightly browned. This should take about 5 minutes. Serve those bad boys hot or cold.


Everything in moderation. Eleven probably isn’t considered moderation.

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment