Friday, April 22, 2011

Fried Couscous Salad



Before I started the blog, my eating routine was pretty boring.

If I had written about what I was eating and making then it would have gone something like this…

Monday – Tonight I made soy sauce veggies. They were really saucy.

Tuesday – Tonight I heated up some frozen Trader Joe’s vegan fried rice and three chicken gyoza. Also from Trader Joe’s.

Wednesday – Tonight I went to Sushi.

Thursday – Tonight I heated up some vegan fried rice AND made soy sauce veggies.

Friday – Tonight I drank my dinner.

Super exciting right?

Not.

When I started writing about what I was eating and making, I realized that I needed to mix it up a bit.

This dish takes some ingredients that are pretty mundane and with just one special ingredient, the not so special elements transform into something wonderful.

Couscous takes less effort than rice and can totally spice up your week night routine. And completely satisfy your vegetarian cousin. Who might just go back for seven helpings like mine did.

You will need…

2 cups low sodium chicken broth
½ teaspoon salt
1 10 ounce box of couscous
¼ cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
4 ounces goat cheese crumbles
1 small cucumber cut into ½ inch pieces


¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped


¼ cup grated parmesan cheese


¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves

For the dressing:
1/3 cup olive oil
¼ cup red wine vinegar
Zest and juice from ½ large lemon
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper

Start by bringing the chicken broth and salt to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the couscous. Cover until the liquid has been absorbed and the couscous is tender.


This should take 5-6 minutes. Using a fork, fluff the couscous and break up and lumps.

Then, in a large skillet heat ¼ cup olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until golden.


Increase the heat to high and add the couscous. Cook, stirring the couscous constantly for 6 minutes. Continue to cook the couscous, stirring it about every 5 minutes until it is toasted. This should take about 25 minutes.


Transfer the couscous to a large serving bowl and let it cool for 5 minutes. Add the goat cheese, cucumber, tomatoes, parmesan and basil.


Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a bowl until smooth and pour the dressing over the salad. Toss the mixture till the couscous is coated.


Boom. Spiced up Tuesday night.

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment