Friday, March 4, 2011

Whole Wheat Pasta with Tomatoes, Onions and Kale


If you haven’t noticed yet, when I get into something I go into it guns blazing.

When I started going to spin class, I got so obsessed I bought an unlimited pass and went about seven times a week. Excessive.

Last autumn, when I decided to start making jewelry, I had to enter myself into my company’s holiday bazaar and force myself to make enough products to sell in a very short time. Good bye weekends.

Hello… When I decided to learn to cook I made myself do elaborate things once a week and then started writing about it.

I definitely do NOT have commitment issues. Except when it comes to my outfit in the morning. That I change seventeen times before I leave the house.

So when I decided it was time to try kale last week, I did not one kale dish but two.

With all the salads and greens taking over Bikini Food Tuesday, I decided to throw in a more hearty pasta dish. Of course with a ton of fresh veggies and whole wheat pasta it was still bikini (or boardshort for my male friends) friendly.

Alyssa even managed to take some good (not blurry) pictures this time around.

You will need…

6 ounces whole-grain spaghetti or your favorite pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
kosher salt and black pepper
1 bunch kale, thick stems removed and leaves torn into bite-size pieces (about 8 cups)
2 pints grape tomatoes, halved


1/3 cup chopped roasted almonds
1/4 cup grated pecorino (1 ounce), plus more for serving

Start by cooking the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve ¼ cup of the cooking water, drain the pasta, and return it to the pot.


Steam facial anyone?

While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper.


Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions begin to brown, 4 to 5 minutes.


Add the kale and cook, tossing frequently, until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook, tossing frequently, until the tomatoes begin to soften, 1 to 2 minutes more.


Add the kale mixture, almonds, pecorino, and reserved cooking water to the pasta and toss to combine. Serve with additional pecorino.


I have and itch and the only prescription is more kale.

Not a literal itch. That’s gross.

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment