Friday, March 4, 2011

Seared Ribeye and Balsamic Bell Pepper Salad


This was actually the dish I cooked for the second ever NFT. It was the week after I made crab cakes in January of 2010 and I’m pretty sure Lish didn’t want to eat it in case the fact that the cakes were good was a fluke. I don’t blame her. I was a little hesitant too, especially since I had never even touched raw steak before.

Now if I could make this on my second try out of the gate, you can no doubt handle it.

It is a beautiful salad that is both light AND hearty. I realized that is a complete contradiction, but I swear that’s the only way to describe it. The thin steak gives it substance, the balsamic peppers give it tang and the arugula gives it a light peppery flavor.

What is that puddle on my desk? Oh don’t worry, it’s just my drool.

I highly recommend this salad if you want to eat a big juicy steak but don’t want the meat sweats after.

If you like the meat sweats, let me know and I’ll see if I can find something for you.

You will need…

2 rib eye steaks
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon celery salt
8 oz arugula
1/4 cup shaved parmesan
2 bell peppers (I like the red, yellow and orange for color) chopped into pieces about ½ by ½ inch big
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil divided

Start by mixing the Worcestershire, pepper, salt, garlic powder and celery salt together in a small bowl.


When they are mixed well, drizzle them over the steaks. Do your best to coat the steaks and let them marinate while you prep the rest of the ingredients.

When everything is prepped and ready, place the arugula on a serving platter with the parmesan. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat in a large pan until the oil is smoking.


Add both steaks and cook for 4-5 minutes a side. Make sure not to lift the steak until it is time to flip so that you get a good sear. When it has been on the second side for another 4-5 minutes, remove it from the heat but leave all the juices and oil.


While the meat rests, add the peppers and the balsamic into the pan and cook for about 5 minutes so the peppers soften slightly and absorb the juices. After 5 minutes, remove from the heat and let the peppers rest in the plan.


Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the peppers and juices and use it as a dressing for the salad.


After 10 minutes of resting, cut the meat across the grain and on a bias in pieces about ½ inch thick and place them over the bed of arugula and cheese.


Mmmmmmmm. Meaty.

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment