Thursday, March 17, 2011

Roasted Tomato and Romaine Salad


I don’t know about you, but I love when my salad has dressing evenly dispersed throughout.

I also love tomatoes.

And I wonder how many times I will have to say that before you all get really tired of hearing it.

I love tomatoes!

I love tomatoes!

I love… ok I’m done.

The thing that really struck me about this recipe was how the dressing was made. Since you make the dressing in the bowl and THEN add the lettuce, it creates a very evenly dressed masterpiece.

There will be no worrying about one piece of lettuce making you choke because the vinegar is so strong. And, you will not be disheartened when your poor little lettuce piece has no flavor.

Yes, I get seriously disheartened by tasteless lettuce.

There I nothing crazy special about the ingredients or the preparation of this salad. It is just a well dressed salad with basic, yummy ingredients. It is the perfect Tuesday night salad.

You will need…

1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 small red onion, minced
1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard, eyeball it
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, eyeball it
3 hearts romaine lettuce, roughly chopped

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.

Place the tomatoes in a baking dish and drizzle with a little extra-virgin olive oil and season with some salt and pepper and place them in the oven.


Roast them until the tomatoes start to burst which should take about 10 minutes.

Remove them from the oven and let them cool.

Once cool, transfer the tomatoes to a salad bowl and slightly smash them up with a fork.


Add the minced red onion.


Then add the mustard and the vinegar.


In a slow steady steam, pour in the extra-virgin olive oil, to taste, while mixing with a fork. Add the romaine lettuce and toss to combine.


Top with a little fresh parmesan and you are good to go!

The whole salad takes about twenty minutes start to finish.

You could drink like two glasses of wine in that amount of time. Wait, that’s just me?

Whoops.

Happy Saint Patty’s Day!
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment