Friday, January 28, 2011

Prosciutto Wrapped Melon with Mixed Greens and Mint Dressing


When Eric and I were in Spain we had a wonderful time. Barcelona was beautiful, the weather was hot and the people were really lovely. But for me, the food left something to be desired. It could have been the fact that their three major food groups seem to be potatoes, ham and anything fried. Potatoes and fried foods are awesome, but I can’t eat them for every meal. And ham, well ham just really isn’t my thing. Maybe it is the Jewish part of me. The Christian part of me loves all other parts of the pig. But the Jew part says no thank you to ham. Unless it is prosciutto (cured ham). Then all my religions are in.


I discovered this prosciutto and melon salad after a long day trip to a small coastal town about an hour south of Barcelona. I was tired and cranky and this salad made it all better. I know the idea of ham and melon is odd to us Americans, but the salty sweet combo is eye opening.


The 80 degree F weather we’ve had in LA this week made me want some big juicy melon. And what is better with some melon than some prosciutto?

You will need…

1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
¼ teaspoon aniseed or fennel
2 tablespoons thinly sliced mint divided
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups mixed greens
½ honeydew melon cut into approximately 1 inch by 1 inch pieces
4 oz prosciutto
Salt and Pepper to taste

Ok guys. Here is where it gets really hard. Whisk the sherry, honey, aniseed an 1 tablespoon mint in a bowl. Then slowly whisk in the oil. Season the dressing with salt and pepper to your liking. Toss greens with 2 tablespoons of the dressing.

Wrap the melon and wrap with prosciutto and add it on top of the greens. Drizzle the remaining dressing over the mixture. Sprinkle the remaining mint over the top and add pepper to taste.


I wish there were more photos to share with you but my tipsy friends could only manage these. Now go blow your own mind with this amazing combo.

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

1 comment:

  1. I was already a fan of the melon / prosciutto combo but the minty dressing sounds as if it would boost it to ahhhhmazing.

    ReplyDelete