Thursday, January 27, 2011

Burrata, Arugula and Pepper Crustinis


I really love carbs. If they made an I <3 CARBS bumper sticker I would totally sport it on the prius. It is my love of carbs that leads me to believe that if you put anything on a piece of bread it will taste yummy. So, when I need a quick appetizer I just think about what I could put on some toast.

Anyone can make toast and it is always delicious.


Anyone but Lindsey B. She sent this to me last Tuesday after I told her I made homemade pasta after work. I made pasta from scratch. She burnt toast. I’m sure there is some metaphor for our friendship somewhere in there but I’m scared of what it might mean.

This week when I decided to do five different dishes for my group of girlfriends coming over, I realized I needed a quick and easy but very fancy looking appetizer. One I could complete before everyone got there so they wouldn’t see how easy it was. I went with burrata, arugula and pepper on garlic crustinis. See, even the name sounds fancy. Too bad they read this blog and now I’m outing myself.

I’m guessing you probably don’t have a blog, so you can make this for your friends and look and sound gourmet. Let me break this down for you so you don’t get scared off.

Burrata – Softer creamier version of mozzarella but has an almost identical flavor. I prefer it because I like that it is easier to bite into. You can find it at any nicer grocery store.


Arugula – A very peppery tasting green. Looks like baby lettuce and can be found at any grocer.


Crustini – Slices of a baguette that have been brushed with olive oil and toasted in the oven or broiler. To make them garlic I give them each a quick rub with a garlic clove.

If you don’t know what pepper is, leave this blog and never come back.

Just kidding. That was a little harsh.

To make these tasty pre dinner treats, you will need;

16 slices of your favorite baguette
4 oz arugula
8 oz burrata cheese
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves
Fresh ground pepper for seasoning

Turn on your broiler or preheat your oven to 350 degrees. On a baking sheet, lay out your bread slices. Lightly drizzle them with the olive oil and then rub each of them with a little bit of garlic.

When they have been oiled and garliced, place them in the oven or broiler for about 5minutes or until nice and crispy but not burnt (Lindsey).


Once out of the oven, place a couple of arugula leaves on each of the crustinis.

Then, place a small amount of burrata onto each bed of arugula.

Finally, sprinkle the crustinis with some fresh pepper and serve while the crustinis are warm.


Don’t let anyone person eat more than 3. They need to save room for dinner.

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment