Sunday, November 7, 2010

Peppercorn Steak


My parents have always been really great about exposing my brothers and me to delicious food. Obviously, we didn’t start too fancy because the three of us together could be tyrants. But, when we were old enough to not beat each other up at the table, they took us to all kinds of delicious restaurants. The first fancy restaurant I can remember was a French place where I had the first steak I really enjoyed. It was a perfectly cooked filet with an amazing peppercorn sauce. It was heaven. So, on French night, I decided to do my own peppercorn steak.

The peppercorn steak marked some major kitchen firsts for me. It was the first time I put a pan in the oven (I have no idea why I was nervous to do this), the first time I successfully reduced something and it was the first (and only) time I ground an entire container of peppercorns.

This recipe tells you to grind them yourselves. Don’t. Just use regular pepper! It will save you time and energy.

Also, don’t be a dumb dumb like me and remember that the pan handle is hot when it comes out of the oven.

Burnt fingers are so not sexy.

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

Peppercorn Steak

2 tablespoons green peppercorn
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard plus 2 teaspoons
4 (12 to 14-ounce) New York strip steaks, trimmed of excess fat
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons minced shallots
1 tablespoon black pepper
Big splash Cognac
1 package beef demi-glace (you can buy delicious beef demi-glace at nicer grocery stores)
1/4 cup cream
salt and pepper to taste
Preheat sautepan to medium-high, and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Brush 2 tablespoons of the mustard on the steaks, and season liberally with salt and pepper.

Heat a large skillet with the oil over medium high heat until the oil is VERY hot and sear steaks until well browned and crisp on 1 side, about 4 to 5 minutes.

Flip steaks and put the skillet in the oven for about 5 to 7 minutes, for medium-rare.

Remove steaks from the oven. Place steaks on a dish and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.

Place the skillet over medium heat. Place a towel over the handle so you don't burn yourself like I do every time.

Add the shallots and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Add the green peppercorns, then the Cognac and cook until almost all the liquor has evaporated.

Whisk in the remaining 2 teaspoons of mustard and veal stock and bring to a simmer.

Whisk in the cream.

Spoon the sauce over the steaks and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment