Thursday, October 14, 2010

Throwing it Together

I know it seems that all I do is make “fancy” food. Tonight, I decided to make whatever I had in the fridge. Half because I wanted to prove that I could do it and half because I was too tired to go to the store. If you have a couple of basic things in the house at all times, you will always be able to whip something up. Here are some things YOU should keep in the house, and what I threw together.

Some fresh veggies and roots:
Potatoes
White/Yellow Onions
Broccoli
Green Beans
Asparagus
Garlic




Everything on this list is great sautéed or roasted and the veggies are great steamed. I steamed broccoli and caramelized some onion. I also threw in some fresh bell pepper.


It’s great to have some protein (turkey and chicken are great) on hand in the fridge or frozen in the freezer. Toss in some chopped up garlic while your cooking the protein for extra flavor.


Rice or pasta is great to have on hand. I threw in some pasta we had lying around.

Last but definitely not least, you should have a couple things around the kitchen that either bring out flavor or enhance flavor. Salt, pepper, sugar, a couple of choice herbs and olive oil are all kitchen must have. We had some pesto, so I threw it in for flavor.


Throw it all together and you have a great dinner with a protein, a veggie and a starch.


So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Love and Beer Floats,
Angela

Throwing it Together Pasta
1 bell pepper
1 small white onion
4 ounces broccoli
6 ounces chicken
desired amount of favorite pasta
2 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons pesto
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Heat 1/4 cup water in pot on the stove and add the broccoli. Cover and steam for 5 minutes. Strain and put in serving bowl. Chop up onion, bell pepper and garlic. Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and add onion, salt and pepper and cook the onions down for 15 minutes till soft and browned. While onions are browning, in another pan, heat up the other tablespoon of olive oil. Grill the chicken 4 minutes on a side. Remove from heat and cut into bite sized pieces. Add chicken, onions and bell pepper to the serving bowl. Cook pasta and add it with the pesto and combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment