Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Apple Cider Turkey Gravy, Grandma Evelyn Style


We all inherit different things from our parents, grandparents and assorted family members.

Sometimes they are physical. I have my mother’s bone structure and my youngest brother Josh has my grandmother’s red hair.

Often you inherit personality traits from others. My cousin and I grew up on opposite sides of the country, but our dad’s gave us the same sense of humor.

But if you are really lucky, you inherit something that is invaluable.

Like my grandmother Mickey’s blue scarf that I will keep with me when I walk down the aisle to my hypothetical future husband.

Or in this case, my grandmother Evelyn’s way to make gravy.

This recipe was not my grandmothers. But I did not follow their instructions. I made it the way Evelyn makes it. Which in my mind is the absolute best way.

You will need…

1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 large or 2 small carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
2 ribs celery, cut into 1/2-inch dice
4 cloves garlic, smashed
2 Granny Smith apples, cut into 1/2-inch dice
5 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
1 bunch thyme
Kosher salt
1 quart chicken stock, divided
2 cups apple cider, divided
1/2 to 3/4 cup all-purpose flour

To prepare the gravey, put the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, apples, bay leaves, cinnamon stick and thyme in a roasting pan and season with salt. 


Arrange your Jasper (turkey) on top of the vegetables and refrigerate it overnight uncovered. 


Leaving it uncovered will enable the skin to dry out and become really brown and crispy.

After refrigerating overnight, the turkey (and gravy base) are ready to go in the oven.

Before putting the turkey in the oven, add 2 cups of chicken stock and 1 cup apple cider to the bottom of the roasting pan.

To make the gravy, stain all the veggies over a bowl to separate them from the stock/cider/turkey mixture. Discard the veggies.

Here is where Evelyn’s technique comes into play. Most people would have you create a roux with some turkey fat and butter.

Instead, take your remaining turkey liquid and add it to a medium sauce pan and heat it over medium high heat.


Put your flour in a mason jar (a medium sized jar that holds about 2 cups or something comparable that you can cover). Fill up the rest of your jar or container with water.


Shake the jar vigorously ensuring that all the lumps are out of the flour/water mixture.

When the mixture is lump free, add the mixture to the already heating turkey liquid.


Bring the mixture to a boil while whisking until the mixture thickens...


and looks like this.



Yes, that is correct. In the chaos I forgot to take a picture of the final product.

But let me just tell you, it was the best darn gravy in town and the best darn thing I’ve inherited to date.


What’s the best thing you’ve inherited?

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment