Saturday, September 17, 2011

Scallops with Nectarine Puree

This might be hard to believe, but I used to be painfully shy.

I would walk around with headphones on and if I saw someone I knew I would usually look the other way like they didn’t exist just so I wouldn’t have to make small talk.

That shy.

And authority figures were a whole other issue. I could barely speak to them in private with out tearing up.

There was no rhyme or reason for my terror but it was there regardless.

Until I started college and met Bonnie.

Bonnie was my college swim coach and the women who changed my life.

And not in the conventional way that inspiring adults change your life.

She would make me so freaking mad that I would lose my mind. Suddenly I had no problem not only talking to authority, but I had zero problem giving them a piece of my mind.

Not really all authority actually, just Bonnie.

Not that I am super proud of any of the times I lost it on the pool deck.

I am definitely not proud of the time Bonnie and I got into a screaming match in a hotel room before our conference meet because I refused to accept that she put another girl on the relay team.

I’m even less proud of the time I told the assistant coach to eff of and got suspended from the team.

I am a little proud of the time she wouldn’t let me go to my housing meeting and I screamed my head off until everyone with in a five mile radius came over to see what was wrong.

Not.

Regardless of how many fights we got into, I thank her for every one. She taught me how to be strong. She taught me how to deal with people who are very different from me but also how to deal with people just like me. She taught me when to fight for what I believe and when to let things go.

When I wanted to spread my wings somwethere other than in the pool, she gave me the time and the support. When our team needed a leader, she trusted me to do it.

Even though the way she did it wasn’t orthadox, she helped me find my footing in life.

Now, not only is she my mentor, but she is my friend.

And on Thursday she came down to Laguna to have dinner with me and Lish and our men.

Of course I wanted to impress her.

But, in the easiest way possible of course.

So I found this recipe that sounds and looks fancy, but took ten minutes make.

You will need…

2 ripe nectarines


1 medium orange, juiced


Salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 medium sized scallops
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon brown mustard
Fresh mint

Start by cutting each nectarine against the pit on two sides.


Lay the cut pieces facedown on a cutting board and cut into thin slices and set them aside.


Remove the remaining flesh from the pits of each nectarine and place them in a blender. Add the orange juice and blend until a smooth purée forms.


Season with salt and pepper and set aside.

Season the scallops with salt and pepper.


Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat and add the canola oil. Once the oil is very hot, add the scallops and sear on one side for 3 minutes.


Add the butter to the pan and turn the scallops over.


Use a spoon to baste the scallops with the butter and cook for 30 seconds until the scallops are opaque.


Remove the scallops from the pan and reserve.

To serve, spoon a bit of the nectarine purée in the center of four small plates. Place two scallops on each plate, along with a bit of mustard, the nectarine slices and the mint garnish.


Serve immediately.

You could also be lazy like me and put them on a large platter and let people serve themselves.


Short cuts as often as possible. Just like when I was in the pool. Right Bonnie?

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment