Thursday, September 8, 2011

Garlicy Chicken, Radicchio and Portobello Salad

In life, it is inevitable that we have some sort of weakness. Even the strongest and most put together people can be brought down by something as simple as a piece of chocolate or an attractive member of the opposite sex.

No one is perfect.

And although I’m really close (HA!) to perfection (HA! HA!), there are two things I do in the kitchen that knock me down off my pedestal of culinary greatness.

I made this dish the other night and it illustrates my two major issues.

The first is a trait is share with my mother. We have a tendency to make WAY too much salad. There is no real reason for our over salading tendencies. It just happens.

Every time.

I am the only person I know that likes soggy salad. The love probably stems from the fact that there was ALWAYS leftover salad in our fridge.

The second issue I have is the fact that I can’t seem to figure out what size container to put things in. I either try and stuff way too much stuff into way too small a container, or there is so little stuff in such a large container that it doesn’t cook ore store properly.

Well, I’m not really sure if either of these is so much a weakness as it is an annoyance to myself and those around me, but this salad was the perfect illustration of both.

Not only did I make enough of this to feed an army (or half of my brothers water polo team), I then tried to put it all in a way to small bowl. Making it almost impossible to even get to the delicious spring lettuce at the bottom.

Whoops.

Live and learn. Or in my case, live and then do it again over and over again and wonder why you don’t learn.

Regardless of how much I made or how it fit into its container, this was delicious. Make it!

You will need…

4 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only


2 chicken breasts pounded thin
2 portobello mushrooms, brushed clean and stems removed


1 small head radicchio, halved


4 ounces of spring mix baby lettuce

Put the garlic onto a cutting board and sprinkle it with about 1/2 teaspoon salt.


Using the side of a large knife, smash the garlic. Chop the smashed garlic and salt put the mixture into a food processor or blender.


Add in the oil and parsley and blend until the mixture is smooth.


Pour half the mixture over the chicken and season it with salt and pepper. Set the chicken aside to marinate while you prepare the other ingredients for grilling.


Heat the grill to medium high. Drizzle half the remaining marinade into the mushrooms and half onto the cut side of the radicchios.


Season both with salt and pepper and place them on the grill over indirect heat.


Grill until the mushrooms and radicchio are soft, about 10 to 15 minutes; set them aside to cool while you cook the chicken.


Put the chicken on the grill and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes per side, or until cooked through and juices run clear.


This could be less than 15 to 20 minutes depending on how thin your chicken is. Let the chicken cool enough to handle.

To serve, cut the chicken into pieces, cut the mushrooms into quarters, and cut the radicchio into wedges.



Gently toss everything together with your spring mix and an extra drizzle of olive oil.


Voila. The perfect bite.

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment