Monday, August 8, 2011

Key Lime Pie

It’s been quite a while since I met a new man’s family. So Sunday when I met the new dude’s sister, the question wasn’t “Will they like me,” but rather, “What should I make to bring.”

And oh the dread when I was told I was in charge of dessert. Really? The one thing that scares me?

When the boy suggested we bring a store bought cake or pie I seriously questioned the entire relationship.

I’m sorry, have you met me? Over my dead body will I bring something store bought to someone’s home.

But to my surprise, rather than drag his feet when I suggested a key lime pie from scratch, he grabbed the whisk and started whipping some cream.


Keeper.

But even bigger than the fact that he will help me in the kitchen is the fact that he has a nephew that looks like this…


Way to use your adorable family to make me like you. Isn’t that some sort of cheating?

You will need…

For the crust:
2 cups graham cracker crumbs


1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted

For the filling:
1 cup heavy whipping cream


1/2 cup sugar


1 (12-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cups key lime juice (I used regular limes)


1 tablespoon key lime zest
1 pint half-and-half

Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, combine the cracker crumbs and brown sugar.


Stir in melted butter mix till completely combined.


Press the mixture firmly into bottom and up sides of a 10-inch pie tin.


Bake the crust for 8 minutes and let the crust cool completely before spreading the pie filling over it.


In a large bowl, with an electric mixer at medium speed (or if you are insane like me and want to use a whisk), beat the cream until it is slightly thickened.



Gradually add the sugar, and beat the mixture until soft peaks form.



Add the condensed milk and beat until stiff peaks form.



Beat in the lime juice, lime zest, and half-and-half.


Once the mixture as reached desired flavor and consistency, gently spread pie filling over the cooled crust.



Cover and refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours or until firm.


Cut into wedges and serve.


He might have the cute nephews, but I know what to do with a pie pan. That makes us even right?

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment