Friday, July 29, 2011

Heirloom Tomato "Tacos"

My cube neighbor has been hooking me up! On Wednesday I strolled into work (sober this time) to stumble across these tasty morsels…


I know you are all well aware, but she had no idea about my weakness for heirloom tomatoes.

The second those bad boys show up in my local grocery store I get giddy. The colors, textures and flavors drive me wild.

Now if I could only find a man who gave me that same feeling I’d be set.

Even though these summer tomatoes are one of my absolute faves, I felt that I was lacking in creative recipes to serve them.

So I did a little searching and I came across these “tacos.” While they really have very little resemblance to an actual taco other than their crunchy texture, they had a surprisingly hearty feeling to them.

The flavors pop, the crunch is awesome and you would be a straight up fool if you didn’t give them a chance.

You will need…

1/2 pound mixed heirloom tomatoes


1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, best quality
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, best quality
Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chiffonade (cut into tiny thin strips)


1 head romaine, inner leaves only


1/2 cup daikon radish sprouts


1/2 cup gorgonzola cheese crumbles


Start by dicing the tomatoes into 3/4-inch pieces.

Place them in a bowl and add the olive oil, balsamic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper and basil.


Toss the mix gently to combine and adjust the seasoning if need be.

Line a serving plate with the romaine leaves like taco shells.

Fill each with 1/2 to 3/4 cup of the tomato mixture.


Top the mixture with some crumbles of gorgonzola.


Top them with daikon sprouts, a sprinkle of salt and a crack of black pepper.


Serve at room temperature.


It’s like Italian Mexican food. What would that be? Italican?

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment