Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Grilled Chicken with Roasted Red Pepper Salsa


I hope you all had a safe and lovely holiday weekend! Mine was lovely, but in no way was it safe.

Basically, I shouldn’t be allowed on a bike. Or near a bike. Or around anything that could harm me at all.

I should be in a bubble.

In one weekend I managed to fall off the handle bars of a bike, get stung by some unidentified insect and get body slammed by a bike and its rider.

On one of the major bikini weekends of the year, I was walking around the beaches of Newport with road rash, bruises and a swollen sting.

I like attention and all, but the ruckus my wounds caused was a little over the top.

Halfway through the weekend I decided to tell everyone a different story about what happened to me.

I got into a wrestling match on the concrete with Lindsey B.

I was surfing a gnarly wave and hit some coral.

And my personal favorite, I am a zoo keeper and I got a little too close to a lion. Which I actually got some drunken fool to believe.

Ah the glories of alcohol.

So now with my buzz worn off, I sit here nursing my wounds and dreaming about the day when wearing clothes won’t be painful. The second moving doesn’t cause me to cringe I’m getting back in the kitchen to make this dish again.

Lish sent me a picture of this chicken that she made for her and her now husband out of a cook book they were given for their wedding. It looked so good I made her send me the recipe right that second so I could make it for dinner. And, it was even BETTER then it looked. (This recipe is for two but you could easily double or triple it for more people.)

You will need…

2 large chicken breasts pounded thin
¾ cup coarsely chopped roasted red bell peppers


¼ cup golden rains


1 avocado, coarsely chopped


1 mango, coarsely chopped


¼ cup red onion, diced


¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves


1 teaspoon orange zest


Juice of 1 orange
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste

Start by heating your grill to a medium heat. Mine was at 350 degrees F.

While the grill is heating, combine the peppers, avocado, raisins, mango, onion, cilantro, zest and juice into a medium bowl.


In a small pan, heat the olive oil and the cumin, cinnamon and cayenne pepper over medium heat.


When the oil is nice and hot, add the red pepper salsa mixture to the pan and stir until the mixture is hot.


Remove it from the heat, place it in a serving bowl and cover.

When the grill is hot, season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook for 4 minutes on each side or until it is cooked through.


Make sure that you either lightly coat the chicken with oil or spray the grill with a grill cooking spray before grilling. You don’t want your chicken to stick to the grill.

After the chicken is cooked, serve hot with the large spoonfuls of the warm salsa.


Now just try and stop yourself from devouring this.

And don’t blame me when you want to make it again. And again. And again.

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment