Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Lemon Tart Part 2 (The Filling)


I know I have kept you on pins and needles waiting for the tart part two. For that, I am truly sorry.

But, good GOD was it worth the wait.

I made this on Monday night for my dad’s birthday on Tuesday and I was dying in anticipation of how it would taste.


The pleasure of this little piece of tart as well as the joy this picutre brings me was worth every second of anguish I spent waiting.

My only mistake was not cutting myself a bigger slice. I thought I would get to have another slice today, but Mom basically shut that idea down. The remaining tart would be for Mom and Dad’s enjoyment.

If she hadn’t paid for the ingredients that went into it, I might have put up more of a fight.

You will need…

3/4 cup sugar
2 lemons, zested, plus 3 lemon, juiced
4 eggs, separated (meaning the whites in one bowl and the yolks in another


Start by lowing the temperature on the oven to 325 degrees F.

Beat the 4 egg yolks with the sugar until very thick.



Then beat in the lemon zest and juice.


Transfer the mixture to the top of a double boiler and set over barely simmering water. A double boiler is a pot of water with a smaller pot or metal bowl within it. This creates a slow and gentle cooking situation. Often used to melt chocolate without burning it.


Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture becomes thick, about 15 to 20 minutes.


Friends come in handy.


Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.

Beat the 4 egg whites until very stiff.



This will take a while and will be your arm workout for the week. You will know that it is stiff when you can’t pour out of the bowl. It will hold whatever shape you give it.


Fold (add a little at a time) the whites into the cooled lemon mixture.



Spread the lemon filling over the pie shell and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the filling is thoroughly set.


Let the tart cool and serve.


And cut me a big piece!


You might want to throw some whipped cream on for good measure.

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment