Friday, June 24, 2011

Honey and Balsamic Glazed Pork Chops


So, I’ve been at home for nearly a month now.

I made it my first month guys. My roomies and I (Mom and Dad) made it a whole month without any major screaming matches, confrontations, or purposely flushing the toilet while someone is in the shower resulting in a shower of fire.

However, due to travel overload my room still looks like I moved in yesterday and my mom might kill me on Sunday if I don’t remove the large amount of kitchen stuff in the garage by our agreed upon deadline.

In the last month I’ve been to San Luis Obispo, Phoenix, and New York. I’ve been to two weddings, a Yankees game, and on a wine tour.

And you know what? I am freaking exhausted.

So this weekend I’m going to take it easy. And don’t panic Mom; I will get everything put away.

But before I crawl into my bed for the next sixteen hours, here is a little dish to get you through my short hibernation.

This dish takes roughly twenty minutes but tastes like it took you hours. But watch out, pork can be really tough and chewy if over cooked. I learned that the hard way.

You will need…

For the Pork:

1/4 cup olive oil, plus extra as needed
4 (8-ounce) boneless pork chops, about 1 1/2 inches thick
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

For the Glaze:

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup honey
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 scallions, pale green and white parts only, finely chopped


1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves


1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, at room temperature (you can use anywhere from all the butter to none of the butter and either way it is yummy)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a large, heavy skillet, heat the olive oil over high heat.

Season the pork chops with salt and pepper, to taste, and then sprinkle the pork with the red pepper flakes.


When the oil is hot, add the pork to the pan and cook until cooked through. For about 4-5 minutes on each side.


When the pork is finished, remove it from the pan, and cover it loosely with foil.


In a small saucepan, bring the vinegar, honey, garlic, scallions, and rosemary to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the honey has dissolved.



Let it simmer for 9 minutes, or until slightly reduced.


Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the butter until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.


Arrange the pork chops on a platter and drizzle them with the glaze.


Cut. Eat. Repeat.


Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment