Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Lemon Cod with Leeks and Tomatoes


The story of Peter Pan was always my favorite growing up. The Disney animation is one of my favorites, but I’m pretty sure I haven’t met come across a versions (animated or not) of the story that I didn’t love. There was a made for TV version of it that my parents recorded for me when I was very young that I am certain I watched no less than 300 times. Over and over and over. An actress played the role of Peter and I always thought that was super cool that a girl could play a boy. Good for whatever Z list actress that was. You go girl.

It must have been on TV during the winter months because there were three soup commercials where a snow man comes in from the cold, eats a bowl of soup and when the snow melts away from him he is a small boy. Grinning from ear to ear because that soup is so damn good.

Yeah, I remember REALLY random things.

I’m not sure quite what it is that makes me love Peter Pan so much, but I’m pretty sure it has something to do with the mermaids, flying and never growing old.

Mostly the never growing old part.

My love of all things Peter has caused this weird phenomenon in my brain where every time I think of cod, I think of Captain Hook. Every time there is cod involved, I replay “Hook is a codfish,” over and over in my head.

And every time it makes me giggle and is a helpful reminder to always keep a youthful spirit.

Maybe I should eat more cod.

You will need…

2 medium leeks (only the white and light green parts) thinly sliced
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
3 sprigs thyme
Salt and fresh pepper
2 ½ cups cherry tomatoes
4 cod fillets that are each about 6 to 8 ounces

Start by preheating the oven to 450 degrees F. While the oven is heating, make sure that your leeks are very clean.


I like to slice them then put them in a bowl of cold water and let all the dirty fall off of them. Make sure to pat them dry before use.

Toss together the leeks, lemon juice, oil, lemon zest, thyme ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper in a 9-by-13 inch baking dish. Pop them in the oven until the leeks just start to soften. This should take about 8-10 minutes.


Remove the leeks from the oven and add the tomatoes and toss to combine them.


Season the cod with salt and pepper to your taste and lay them on top of the tomato and leek mixture.


Bake the fish until it is opaque through. This should take about 15 to 20 minutes. Serve immediately.


Hook is a codfish, a codfish, a codfish!



Yum.


Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment