Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Curried Chicken Balls


Last weekend, my friend Maggie and I threw a bridal shower for Lish at my parents house in Orange County. It was a perfect day, the back yard looked beautiful and the 10 hours of prep and cook time were totally worth the look on Lish’s face when she arrived.

Maggie and I had been planning the menu and party details for nothing short of six months and it was a joy and a relief for the day to finally come and go. We went back and forth and up and down thirty something recipe options before landing on the final menu. I will admit that I forced Maggie into most of the dishes, but she was a true sport and stood right by my side as we created each one from nothing.

Except for the cupcake lollipops. For those I let her use a boxed mix.

How nice of me right?

My type A crazy, relaxed just long enough to agree to not one, but two Maggie submitted dishes. Both of them freaked me out and then made me eat my judgmental words because they were so damn good.

The first recipe was these curried chicken balls that stole the show. Multiple people have been hounding me to post the recipe so that they can use it for Easter this Sunday.

Well, wait no longer my friends (especially Julia) because here it comes!

You will need...

¼ pound cream cheese
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 cup chopped (boiled) chicken
1 tablespoon mango chutney, chopped
1 cup blanched almonds, chopped
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon curry powder
½ cup fresh grated coconut (the bakers sweetened coconut is fine)


Start by boiling (in a large pot of water) the chicken until it is cooked through.

Maggie wanted me to tell you all that you can cook the chicken other ways, but boiling your chicken will result in jucier balls. The jucier the balls, the better. Her words. Not mine.

Let the cooked chicken cool and then chop it into fine pieces.


In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients except the coconut.


Mix very well until everything is combined.


Use the mixture to make walnut sized balls and then dip the balls in the coconut.


Chill the balls for at least an hour (up to overnight) so that they hold their form.


Place a toothpick in each ball and serve.


Ball, eat and be merry.

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I can't wait to make them! Thanks for posting:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did Rico really say Yay? Or is that Julia...HA

    ReplyDelete
  3. i might have to make these though...yummmm

    ReplyDelete