Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Kale Chips


There are two kinds of people in this world. The sweeties and the salties. Some people have serious sweet tooth. My roommate, my dad, and my friend Kim are among a large group of people who would be completely satisfied to eat dessert ALL THE TIME. Then, there are the salties like me. I would much rather eat a bag of salty delicious potato chips than a chocolate cake. If you want to buy me some salted peanuts or a salt lick for my birthday, I totally won’t hold it against you.

When I was younger and swimming twenty plus hours a week, not only was I only the size of one of Shaq’s legs, I didn’t give to poops about what I ate. However, now that I have a general knowledge of health and nutrition, I know that gnawing that salt lick is definitely not good for my heart or my waistline.

Bottom line, I don’t really eat potato ships anymore.

It was hard and sad at first but I have adjusted. Last night I discovered a recipe that will satisfy both my cravings for chips and a healthy life. Lightly salted and BAKED kale chips.

I had never eaten kale before, but was pleasantly surprised with its thinly cut chip texture and flavorful crunch.

May I suggest you double recipe because, because just like Pringles, “Once you pop, you just can’t stop.”

Pop out of the oven that is.

You will need…

1 bunch of kale
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon olive oil

Start by preheating the oven to 315 degrees F. While the oven is heating, remove the leaves of the kale from its large stem. I did so by running my knife lightly against the stem starting closest to my body and moving away from my body. When the leaves are removed from the stems, pull them into little chip sized pieces and wash WELL! Kale can be dirty.


Dry the leaves well and toss them in a bowl with all the other ingredients making sure they are lightly coated.


Place them on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes making sure they are crispy.


Now make sure you grab the amount you want before you serve them in a bowl. Or else you will be sad like I was last night when I only got two.

Seriously, the only thing those bikini crazed girls had time to do was stop for a kale chip.

Bikini anyone?


Love and Beer Floats
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment