Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Brown Rice, Tomatoes and Basil with Tangy Vinaigrette

I don’t think that I am alone in telling you that it is not exactly in my nature to be drawn to healthier foods. I know most of my friends have to make conscious efforts to choose healthy foods and I am no exception.


So, with bikini season fast approaching (and some new bikini’s in my dresser drawers) I am trying extra hard to make good food choices.


Which often becomes very difficult after three drinks and as many hours of dancing. That fast food joint looks really good circa 1 am and it is just so easy to have the cabby drive through.


Of course I always buy him a cheeseburger.


I don’t feel like I should deprive myself of moments like that every so often, so in an effort to be bikini ready I am making better choices during the week nights.


NFT is no exception. Until October. Then we can bring on the butter.


Last week I decided to try and make a friend out of an enemy. I have never been a huge rice fan, but I despise brown rice.


Well, I despised brown rice.


Until I made this dish.


Instead of being dried out and tasting like a yogi’s well worn mat, it was moist and flavorful. The diverse flavors and textures of the basil and tomatoes made this brown rice dish more than tolerable and the tangy dressing got me out of my chair for seconds.


Of brown rice.


You will need…


1 cup brown rice

2 cups low sodium chicken stalk

½ tablespoon butter

¼ cup white wine vinegar

2 teaspoons sugar

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper (or way more if you are my roommate)

1 pound ripe tomatoes diced

1 cup packed basil chopped


In a medium sized pot, mix the rice, chicken stalk and butter and bring it to a boil.


Stir the mixture once, cover it and let it simmer for 40-50 minutes. When the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed, transfer the rice to a serving bowl.

Whisk together the vinegar, sugar, oil and salt and pepper. Preferably in a bowl, but sometimes we have to make do with what we have.


Pour the dressing over the rice and add in the tomatoes and basil.


Mix well and taste for seasoning. You can always add salt and pepper, but you can never take it away. Serve hot or at room temperature.

Now watch your junk food loving family and friends go back for more.

Love and Beer Floats

Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment