Thursday, January 20, 2011

Fettuccini Carbonara


For once, instead of using the internet to scour for NFT recipes I decided to hit our impressive library of cook books. With everything from Nobu cook book to the Soup Bible, I figured there have to be a lot of untapped recipes in there for my archives. In my search through our books, most of which I have barely glanced at, I stumbled upon a culinary gem. William-Sonoma’sROME cookbook.

I started flipping through page after page of delectable pasta’s and fish dishes and before I knew it there was a large puddle of drool on my desk. Don’t worry Lish, I did NOT drool ON the book. Just near it.

Have I mentioned my love of carbs? I seriously admire those who can eliminate complex carbohydrates from their diet. NEVER gonna happen for me. NEVER.

The thing that is so amazing about Italian cooking is that everything is so simple. It’s just simple ingredients and simple techniques, but the quality makes it mind blowing.

With all the amazing pasta recipes that this book had, I didn’t really know where to start. So I just started with number one. This recipe has a TOTAL of eight ingredients. Three of which you probably already have in your kitchen. When you tell people you made carbonara they will be so impressed. Unless they read NFT’z too. Then you’re screwed.

You will need…

6 oz pancetta sliced into ¼ in pieces


1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and Pepper
1 lb fettuccini
¼ cup grated pecorino romano cheese


¼ cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese plus more to sprinkle after served


2 large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk at room temperature (very important)

In a large frying pan over medium-low heat, combine the pancetta and olive oil and cook slowly until much of the fat has rendered and the meat has brown a little. Be careful not to make it too crispy. Once it is brown and still soft, remove it from the heat and cover the pan.


Bring a pot that is ¾ full of water to a rapid boil and add 1 tablespoon of salt to the water. Cook the pasta to the package specifications.

While it is cooking, whisk together the 2 eggs and the egg yolk. Stir in about a tablespoon of fresh pepper and then add HALF the grate cheese mix.


Mix the whole thing together.


Here is where timing gets important. Make sure the bowl you are going to put the pasta in is going to be warm. If not, if will affect the eggs when added to the pasta.


When the pasta is finished, pour it into a colander and reserve about 1 cup of the pasta water. Shake the pasta a couple of times to get rid of excess water and then add the pasta back into the pan of pancetta. Toss the pasta a couple of times to coat the pasta with the fat and pancetta.

Transfer the pasta and pancetta into your already warm bowl and with a wooden spoon stir in the egg mixture, mixing vigorously to coat the pasta evenly. If the pasta seems dry, add small splashes of the reserved pasta water until it is moist.

Add in the remaining cheese and serve. Sprinkle with extra parmesan if desired.


Whatever you do, don’t bring your leftovers to work. Your work vultures I mean buddies will devour it if you do.

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

1 comment:

  1. haha glad there was no drooling - that cookbook is so yum So lucky I got to eat homemade pasta! DELISH

    ReplyDelete